Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Summer is nearing its end...

Hard to imagine it is already gearing down into the last few days of the month of August. I feel like summer has gone by so quick this year!

I had started this blog with the intention of recording training progression with my older equines at home. Unfortunately, I have not really been able to spend much time "training" my two old buddies. Dale, the pony, has a chronic sore left hind leg that when he plays hard in the pasture, he tends to favor this leg and even limp a little if he plays really hard. He also has heaves that flare up when the humidity is high or the air quality poor. Aside from a little wheezes here and there, and the occasional cough after rolling or chasing Fanny around the pasture, Dale is happy and healthy. He might get a little light exercise along with Fanny come September as I describe in the next paragraph.
Fanny doesn't seem to show any physical problems, aside from the arthritis she has had for many years now. She appears to be healthy and extremely content with her easy-going lifestyle. I do intend to start some light lunging and light riding just to keep her healthy and happy. But the summer has decided to let its temperatures climb into the 90s with high humidity the past two weeks. I don't think it would be fair to start her light retired training during some of the hottest days of the year. Perhaps in September when the weather tends to be more forgiving.

Something I haven't mentioned in previous posts is about the five-year-old Arabian gelding I ride for a friend. He is a wonderful horse with a temperament which is a real rare treasure to find. Its a real pleasure to work this horse. This will be his last season as a "junior horse" at the shows. I purchased a nice Myler bit from Schneider's Saddlery a few weeks ago and have been working him with it. He has been very responsive and it has helped him develop more muscle tone in his neck and help his head set, as well as flexing at the poll better. He is a joy to ride and it is fun to watch him grow and mature! Since my old girl has been retired from the show ring, its nice to get back into the circuit and have fun with this young gelding.

No comments:

Post a Comment